$BlogMemberProfile$>

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Mommy & Me Time

I'm still getting the hang of this whole motherhood thing and I'm sure it's going to take a long, long time but I've already learned one thing for certain: Nothing compares to holding your baby.

On Thursday, I got to hold Will "skin to skin" as they call it in preemie circles. Apparently, research shows that holding a premature baby directly to your chest helps him breathe better and lowers his heart rate. And get this: a mom's breasts also help regulate the baby's body temperature so he's not too hot or too cold. Aside from producing milk (which the nurses call "white gold" for preemies), who knew breasts were so powerful?

Will and I spent a good hour just cuddling together on Thursday. It was the first time I got to rest my hand against his back and rub my chin against his tiny, fuzzy head for any significant period of time. And it was incredible. I sang him songs (Madonna circa 1980s and songs from my sixth grade choir classes. Sorry, Will) and told him about how one day we'd carve pumpkins together, blow bubbles, and eat tacos. He snoozed the entire time (and tooted once) and I almost drifted off with him. It was amazing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

"Let's hear it for the boy!" You must introduce Will to your favorite Deniece Williams tune. Go Will! Love, A xox

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..Mingo says, Pslam 1:3. Your eloquence and love are an inspiration. You, your son, your doctors, nurses, everyone have been in our prayers. Please know we believe in the same miracles you do. (We're also Red Sox fans.

1:50 PM  
Blogger steve_kurth said...

That's fantastic! Good for all of you! (Also- I'm no medical whiz kid, but I've always suspected that breasts were extremely powerful)

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Beth. (I can't figure out my password thingy.)
Holding your baby is the best feeling ever - their baby smell is pretty wonderful too! I'm glad you had such a great afternoon together.

Katie says, "no more Madonna. Sing Will some Linkin Park!" (Know any?!)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

This Blog is Great! The La Hood's are loving keeping up with Will's Progress! Aunt Barb (Grammy) has commissioned us to give her regular downloads - She is not tech savy yet, but this may push her over the edge. Keep enjoying those tender moments of parenthood.
Love you.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home